Why were they looking for Jesus? He had already preached in their synagogue and healed “a man with an unclean spirit” (1:23) as well as “Simon’s mother-in-law” (1:30), and “He healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons” (1:34). Was it just the healing of body they were looking for? Jesus had come to heal their eternal soul with the message of freedom from sin only found in Himself. This point is made in Chapter 2:5 when He says to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” That message is at the core of the gospel, which we must preach!
In light of this principle, consider the top 10 largest unreached people groups in the world. Is one of these the NEXT people group you will help reach?
1. Shaikh in Bangladesh 135,300,000
2. Japanese of Japan 120,700,000
3. Shaikh in India 89,200,000
4. Yadav (Hindu) in India 62,500,000
5. Turk in Turkey 55,400,000
6. Chamar (Hindu) in India 54,800,000
7. Han Chinese, Ziang in China 38,300,000
8. Sunda in Indonesia 37,600,000
9. Java Pesisir Lor in Indonesia 36,900,000
10. Persian in Iran 36,600,000
The combined number of those in this list for India alone is 206,500,000 people. If we combine all the unreached people groups just in India, they would total 1,336,061,420. Will you get involved in some way? Follow Jesus’ model and “Let us go on to the next towns, that I may preach there also”. There is a vast work to be done and it will be accomplished by those who submit to His example.