One of the most important facts about the incarnation (the birth of Jesus) is the role of the Holy Spirit in His coming into manhood. Mary’s pregnancy before she and Joseph “came together” raised concerns with Joseph as to what he should do. What are we to learn from this man and his relationship with Mary?
1. Joseph was morally pure and would not have sexual relations with Mary in the first stage of “betrothal” or what most of us would consider ‘engagement’. Joseph understood that God places a very high value on sexual abstinence outside the consummation of marriage. This moral standard honors the institution of marriage that was established by God as a representation of His character. It also confirms the requirement of fidelity within the marriage bond.
2. Mary was likewise concerned about her virginity which was a mark of her godliness. Pregnancy could not be hidden from public knowledge. She wanted to do what was right.
3. Because Joseph was “a just (righteous) man”, he even considered putting Mary away (divorce) because of such an unrighteous stigma of such a situation. He highly valued righteousness in his own life and every relationship.
Both concerns with Joseph and Mary had to be quickly addressed before Joseph took further action. God used nothing less than “an angel of the Lord” to communicate to Joseph, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit” (Matthew 1:20).
1. When we are committed to living righteous before God, there is no need to fear, even when others see our actions far differently than we understand them to be!
2. God will affirm what is right by His Holy Spirit! Nothing on earth or in heaven can stop the divine plan.
Joseph was free to consummate his relationship with Mary because God the Spirit had acted in causing her conception. This was one divine act in the whole course of human history that had God’s seal and it would not and could not be changed. It should make us extremely grateful for the role the Holy Spirit played in God coming to earth through the birth of Jesus. WORSHIP!!!
Link To Our Old Blog: