THE "BOTH AND" PRINCIPLE
One of the misconceptions the Church has fostered through mission efforts, over many years, is that mission work is in foreign fields and not locally. Let’s take a look at Acts 1:8; “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”” The force of the words “and in” is ‘and both in.’ This may seem like a small, insignificant detail, but it helps us understand the principle that Jesus intended for our mission focus, that it should be ‘both in our Jerusalem and…to the end of the earth.’
It is true that none of us can be in two places at the same time, but we can broaden the focus of our hearts to include all that God wants to accomplish through His people. Let me give a few suggestions that might direct your thoughts and prayers in this ‘both and’ direction.
1. Ask the Spirit to enlarge your understanding of God’s plan for ALL PEOPLE GROUPS.
2. Pray daily for the unreached people groups around the world and in your own community.
3. If you are able to travel, ask God to direct you to an indigenous person and prepare them for reaching their own people in their own culture.
4. Discover what people groups and languages from around the world are in your community.
5. Ask the Spirit to enable you to share the gospel with someone from your own experience, disciple them to become teachable and faithful, able teach others to be the same.
There is no exact method that every one must use for spreading the gospel, but there is ONE Holy Spirit who directs the Church to finish the task we have been left on earth to fulfill. Let Him lead!
Leave a Reply.
Link To Our Old Blog: