PRAYING FOR US - NOT THE WORLD
It deeply touches my inner being to know that Jesus is praying for me! This point is made abundantly clear in the Lord’s prayer John records in John 17:9; “I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours.” Though Jesus is now in heaven, He continues to pray for His own here; “He always lives to make intercession for them” (Hebrews 7:25b). That both humbles my heart and give courage to press on through every trial.
Why would Jesus end His ministry on earth praying for the disciples (See also Luke 22:32) and then carry on praying for us when He is in heaven, seated at the Father’s right hand? Here are a couple of points to consider in answering this question:
· We were given to Jesus by the Father.
· Jesus wants the Father to keep us in His name (John 17:11) which Jesus did throughout His ministry on earth (17:12).
· We are not of this world because Jesus is not of this world (17:16).
· We would need prayer because He was sending us into the world just as the Father had sent Jesus into the world (17:18).
· Through our testimony, the world would believe that the Father had sent the Son (17:21).
There are many other reasons, but this is enough to inspire us to live differently, set apart, holy for the Lord and God’s purpose. Jesus is praying for you right now; that your life would shine His light brighter in a dark world and you would become more effective in spreading His gospel of grace.
Leave a Reply.
Link To Our Old Blog: