Why would Jesus end His ministry on earth praying for the disciples (See also Luke 22:32) and then carry on praying for us when He is in heaven, seated at the Father’s right hand? Here are a couple of points to consider in answering this question:
· We were given to Jesus by the Father.
· Jesus wants the Father to keep us in His name (John 17:11) which Jesus did throughout His ministry on earth (17:12).
· We are not of this world because Jesus is not of this world (17:16).
· We would need prayer because He was sending us into the world just as the Father had sent Jesus into the world (17:18).
· Through our testimony, the world would believe that the Father had sent the Son (17:21).
There are many other reasons, but this is enough to inspire us to live differently, set apart, holy for the Lord and God’s purpose. Jesus is praying for you right now; that your life would shine His light brighter in a dark world and you would become more effective in spreading His gospel of grace.