The writer of Hebrews quotes Solomon; “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by Him” (Proverbs 3:11-12; Hebrews 12:5). The instruction on this issue does not end there. What we did not realize in our youth (in most cases), and perhaps we still miss, is the purpose behind discipline. Make sure you grasp the following points:
- “The Lord disciplines the one He loves” (12:6).
- He “chastises every son whom He receives” (12:6).
- “God is treating you as sons” (12:7).
- The Father “disciplines us for our good” (12:10).
- “That we may share His holiness” (12:10).