As we look back on 2015 and every year of our lives that came before this one, it is good for the heart to look back, take a piece of paper and make a list of all the things the “I AM” has done for you as “The Good Shepherd” (John 10:11, 14). Let me start your list; He has laid down His life for you (10:11)! Before we even realized we needed such a shepherd, He made the ultimate sacrifice for the following reasons:
1. To save us from “the thief [that] comes only to steal, and kill and destroy” (10:10).
2. To give “life…abundantly…I give them eternal life and they will never perish” (10:10, 28).
3. To protect us from “the wolf [who] leaves the sheep…flees…snatches…scatters…and cares nothing for the sheep” (10:12-13).
4. To know us intimately and call us by name so we recognize His voice (10:16).
5. To unite all His sheep into one flock (10:16).
6. “NO ONE will snatch them out of [His] hand…and NO ONE is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand” (10:28-29).
Just as Jacob was breathing his last, he spoke of God as the one “who has been my shepherd all my life long to this day” (Genesis 49:15). David as a shepherd knew “The Lord [as] my shepherd” (Psalm 23:1). In all the ups and downs in Peter’s life, he knew the Lord as “the Shepherd and Overseer of [our] souls” and “the Chief Shepherd” (1 Peter 2:25; 5:4).
“Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.” (Hebrews 13:20–21).
What a glorious way to end this year, at rest in the arms of “The Good Shepherd”!
Link To Our Old Blog: