That title may seem very inappropriate for a blog and website that promotes God’s glory and purpose. We live in a world where moral values and standards that God has set out in His Word are being eroded, not just by the world, but also by parts of the Church that professes to follow Christ. How can this be?
Paul helps us understand this moral decline as he writes a treatise on the gospel to “all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints” (Romans 1:7). He gives the marks of decline to make them aware and teach us to be on our guard:
· Persons “who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth” (1:18). Suppressing God’s Word or placing tradition above it is one of the first indications of decline.
· “Although they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give Him thanks” (1:21). Genuine worship of God becomes replaced by satisfying personal taste and feelings.
· “They became futile in their thinking.” The Spirit is no longer leaned on as the Teacher. “People…having itching ears…accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions” (2 Timothy 4:3).
· “Their foolish hearts were darkened.” Persons stop seeking light from God in Christ.
· “Claiming to be wise, they became fools” (1:22). Jesus Christ is no longer their wisdom.
· They “exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things” (1:23).
Notice that this progression of becoming a fool ends in “exchanging the glory of the immortal God for” something man made. The only way we can be preserved from allowing such deception from influencing the Church is by following Paul’s example of being jealous for the formation of Christ in us (2 Corinthians 11:2). “I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ” (11:3).
Link To Our Old Blog: